1. What is a trademark? In general, a trademark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the...16.03.2022
How to register trademark in the UAE
1. What is a trademark?
In general, a trademark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the goods/services of one seller or provider from those of others, and to indicate the source of the goods/services.
The UAE’s Ministry of Economy is the official authority that governs the registration, renewal and cancellation of trademarks.
Although trademark registration is not mandatory in business line, it plays an important rules and advantages in noticing to the public about the ownership of the mark, exclusive right to use the mark on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration.
2.Who can register a trademark?
According to Federal Law No. 37 of 1992 on Trademarks as amended (Arabic), the following persons can register their trademarks:
– The UAE citizens and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business
– Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business
– Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practising any commercial, industrial, professional or service business in any country on basis of reciprocity
– Other artificial persons.
3.Which trademark ca be registered in the UAE?
The following signs will be registered as trademarks in the UAE:
– Logo Registration
– Trade name registration
– Domain Name protection
– Brand Name Registration
– Real Estate Name
There are certain limitations to keep in mind when registering trademarks in the UAE. If you wish to register a United Arab Emirates trademark, it must not contain any of the following:
- Offenses against public morals and religions
- Public symbols (such as flags)
- Symbols such as for Red Cross and Red Crescent
- Names or titles of third parties
- Direct translations of other well-known trademarks
There may be additional limitations to what you can include in your trademark, which you can find out by contacting the Ministry of Economy or consult your trademark attorney/lawyer.
4. How to register trademark in the UAE
The procedure for trademark registration in the UAE is quite simple but important to right. If you’re looking to register your company’s trademark in the UAE, you’ll need to carry out the following steps:
– Trademark search
– Fill out the application form on the ministry of economy
– Pay the trademark registration fees in UAE
– Wait for your application to be reviewed by the ministry of economy
– Publish the announcement in two local arabic-language newspapers
– Receive the trademark registration certificate
5. Trademark validity in the UAE
A trademark registered in the UAE has a validity of 10 years, after which it must be renewed for an additional cost. The trademark registration is only valid in the territory of the UAE, and not anywhere else in the world.
Reference source: The UAE’s Ministry of Economy
For comprehensive and quick advice, please do not hesitate to contact ANLIS IP for further suport. We are available for any inquiry and questions.
Whatsapp/Viber: +84-366.469.436 for instance advice.
Email: email@example.com for general matters – firstname.lastname@example.org for intellectual property matters.
Bài viết liên quan
The year 2020 has witnessed changes caused by the Covid-19 pandemic around the world and in Viet Nam. The global economic growth declined sharply, while Vietnam’s economic growth reached...13.06.2021
VIETNAM IPO SUSPENDS THE RECEIVING AND RETURNING RESULT REGARDING INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY APPLICATION AT THE HEAD OFFICE FROM MAY 27, 2021
The IPO Vietnam issued Notification No. 4670/SHTT-VP on May 25, 2021, on consulting activities and receiving applications for industrial property registration at the head office of the IPO Vietnam....27.05.2021